Essential Quotes

I have sworn on the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
Thomas Jefferson

Friday, January 06, 2006

Robert F. Kennedy and Aeschylus

I recently watched a documentary on RFK and was overwhelmed. I was reminded of the tragic assasinations of John F. Kennedy, Robert F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King, all killed before I was born. These assasinations were a true Tragedy. I came away from the film with a great quote from Aeschylus, who wrote Greek tragedies. It was a quote RFK was fond of saying at rallies and which is now carved onto his headstone.
"He who learns must suffer; and even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us, by the awful grace of God."
Why must great people such as these be murdered and criminals put in office?

No comments: